Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Meaning of Labor Day?

Yesterday when I was doing my weekly grocery shopping, a lady working at the deli wished me a good Labor Day. I have to say that this was the first time I had heard this mentioned. I heard things on Friday from my co-workers to have a good weekend, but it sounded strange the way it was worded. So I say, Happy Labor Day.

Next we’ll start giving cards and presents like people in America have started doing for things like Halloween and Sweetest Day. These are made up holidays just like Labor Day. Not to mention we still do not have off for days like that. I still think that people have gone to far as to give gifts for these days. It is just one more day where we have to stress over the perfect present for that perfect someone for meaningless days of the year.

I did, however, learn the meaning of Labor Day. The definition is: The first Monday in September, observed as a holiday in the United States and Canada in honor of working people. Up until now I really did not even care to know what the meaning of this day was, except for an awaited long weekend. Where we can have off from our “Labor” and enjoy burnt marshmallows and family fun around the campfire. Also, the memories of the past summer and the wishing that you could start it over because it went by just way too fast.

So with this I say, Happy Halloween, Merry Christmas and Happy Kwanza. I hope I covered all of my bases.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home