Friday, February 17, 2006

Grammer lesson

What do these [ ] mean?

I see them every now and then and have no idea what class I slept through to miss that.

EX. [He] went to the store.
I am going to get gas [and] go to the bank.
[W]hy don't I get this?

Is there any reason why I don't know this? Is it something only English professors or writers know about or am I the only one on the planet that doesn't know what this means?

At this point in my life I feel I am probably the only person that doesn't know what it means, so that is why I'm too embarrassed to ask my teacher. I really should know this by now, right?

3 Comments:

At 3:54 PM , Blogger Mike Garvey said...

It's for when someone uses a quote but needs to change it slightly. They put the new text in brackets so you know what wasn't in the original quote, like a capitalized letter or a pronoun.

And don't feel bad - I only learned it this year because lawyers are grammar nazis.

 
At 1:35 PM , Blogger Mike Garvey said...

Oops. Wikipedia has a slightly different [better] description:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brackets#Box_brackets_or_square_brackets_.5B_.5D

 
At 8:11 AM , Blogger R said...

Yes they are grammar nazis! That's what brought this on. All of the cases in my Business Law book are all like this....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home