Thursday, May 18, 2006

And you are????

When you call a doctor’s office, does the receptionist really need to know what your problem is? I say really gross her out and tell her you cut your arm half off or something. This girl I work with had to call the doctor for her daughter. All of a sudden she starts whispering something obviously very private. I started thinking, why did that person who answers the phone need to know that? That’s why you are going to see the doctor because you want to tell them in a private room and get an answer in private.

It is the same when you call a business and ask for someone. Why does the person answering the phone need to know who you are and why you are calling? 9 times out of 10 you are telling that person who you are calling who you are and why you are calling anyways. She isn’t going to relay the message to them, so why does she need to know?

In my opinion we have the nosiest society around. This is why this stuff happens. That is why people rubberneck or stare at you when your kid is crying in the store. People eavesdrop on your conversations on the phone or with someone. We have reality television just to feed our addiction to nosy-ness.

Think of all of the technology that we have now just so we know where people are all of the time. GPS systems, cell phones, computer chips, etc. Why do we desire to know everything? What are we getting out of this?

1 Comments:

At 7:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok I am totally with you on this one...I can't stand telling the receptionist my problem or my childrens problems over the phone. She has no medical background what the hell does she need to know for? And It just pisses me off because I know I am going to get asked the same damn question by the nurse that sees us, then the student who is interning and then the Dr. so by the 4th time of telling my childs or my symptoms I am to tired to give a damn about what they have to say...and don't you always feel like you are talking to a brick wall when you tell them what is wrong....I mean why do you have to ask me after I told you if my child had diahrea or not...I already said the answer don't ask me just to go through the routine....err...ok enough sorry!
Love
Sarah

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home