Wednesday, May 03, 2006

As I was leaving for lunch today, I passed by a burial ceremony in the cemetary across the street from work. The entire party was holding a white balloon. I didn't stick around, but I'd imagine that they would probably be letting them go in honor of the person that passed.

It got me to remembering when I was in 3rd grade and we let balloons go with our names and addresses attached to them in hopes of a pen pal responding to the finding of your balloon. I received a letter from that balloon from a girl named Fay with a picture enclosed of her doing her homework at the kitchen table. I never did write back. Oops sorry Fay.

That was 20 years ago. Wonder what Fay is up to now.

Due to the concerns of the environmentalists and the increase of computer use, balloon pen pal seeking has fallen by the wayside. I don't know which is worse. Birds eating balloons (do they really eat them?) or kids winding up talking to crazy people.

Go get a balloon, type your name on the end, and let it go. If you talk to Fay tell her I said hi.

3 Comments:

At 2:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey i remember that I got a letter from a boy named mike...never wrote back either...aww the good ol days...maybe I will let a balloon go...who knows what will happen...ttyl
love,
Sarah

 
At 5:17 PM , Blogger Mike Garvey said...

Dude, I haven't thought about that since elementary school.

By the way, Sarah, it wasn't me.

 
At 11:19 AM , Blogger R said...

I have no idea why I remember stuff like that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home